[Bldg-sim] Modelling Infiltration for Low Energy Houses

Shaun Martin smartin at shaunmartinconsulting.com
Mon May 27 11:39:03 PDT 2013

Hi Hayes,

The ZoneInfiltration:EffectiveLeakageArea approach in E+ might give you
better results as it is tailored for residential buildings.  It accounts for
stack, wind and sheltering better than the ZoneInfiltration:DesignFlowRate
method, which is used more for larger building models.

Regardless of the method, the bigger problem is the infiltration schedule.
You could start with the schedules they have in eQuest.   The operation of
the HRV will affect the infiltration schedule.  And, on larger buildings, of
course, infiltration in core zones can be set to zero.

On a 600m3 house, ACH50 = 1.0 is roughly 166 L/s.  This is about 55 L/s at
10Pa,  and translates to an effective leakage area of about 0.45 cm/m2.
These are what I would use as design numbers.   From experience, ACH50 = 1.0
(even 1.5) is a challenging target to reach and can't be reached unless you
use a blower door during construction.

Hope this helps,

Shaun