[Bldg-sim] Sewer heat recovery

Graham Carter & Megan Lyall hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au
Fri May 31 14:12:10 PDT 2013

Our company looked at this years ago (before I joined them) as an alternative to cooling towers.  As I understand we had to ditch it as the water authority was changing their infrastructure and moving sewer pumping stations which was the nail in the coffin.  However that aside the variability of flows and the fact that they are not guaranteed was a big barrier.  We would still have had to have a backup heat rejection source...  There has also been a huge move towards water efficiency in Australia (driest continent next to Antarctica) in the past 15+ years and recycled water plants are more common in precinct and larger buildings.  So liquor flows are on the decline with all else equal.  Just became more work and uncertainty than it was worth...  Your situation may be different …

Regards,
Graham