[Bldg-sim] Modelling cold rooms

Keith Swartz kswartz at ecw.org
Mon Nov 25 07:21:18 PST 2013

Rathna,

For commercial refrigeration baseline details take a look at the Technical Guide Book 2012 by Alliant Energy. http://www.alliantenergy.com/wcm/groups/wcm_internet/@int/documents/document/mdaw/mdiz/~edisp/023759.pdf

Table 43 on p. 128 lists characteristics of new construction baseline systems, although it does not give a baseline efficiency for compressors. There is an equation to estimate compressor efficiency on p. 125, but the paragraph underneath states “This equation should not be used to determine baseline compressor efficiency.”

For insulation of cold storage rooms take a look at Table 2 (p. 50) of ASHRAE’s Design Essentials for Refrigerated Storage Facilities.

NREL has been working on a document identifying commercial refrigeration baselines, including compressor efficiency, but I don’t think it has been published yet.

I’m not certain about the LEED rules since I don’t do many LEED models, but I believe you can take credit for reducing process loads using an exceptional calculation and documenting your justification for claiming the savings. I suspect that you will need to do an exceptional calculation anyway because some modeling programs won’t allow the thermostat settings to go as low the cold rooms will be.

Sincerely,
Keith Swartz, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
Senior Energy Engineer | Energy Center of Wisconsin | Madison.Chicago.Minneapolis
608.210.7123 | www.ecw.org<http://www.ecw.org/>