[Bldg-sim] Accounting for plenums/technical ceilings

Patrick Bivona patrick.bivona at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 06:25:31 PDT 2013

Hi all,

How do people generally account for plenums or technical ceilings? I'm not
referring here to plenums used for air circulation, but closed ceiling
space that is not considered as part of a volume to heat or cool for load
calculations.

- Do you model them as separate spaces?
- Do you ignore them (but how then do you preserve the building's geometry)?
- Some other option?
- And for those using EnergyPlus, do you use the "ceiling height" field of
the Zone object? The documentation says that this generates a warning if
the ceiling height and calculated ceiling height differ too much, whatever
too much is.

The building I'm working on has a 1.1 m (3.6 ft)  difference between the
space ceiling height and the height of the floor above, so it's not
something I can ignore.

Thanks for your feedback,
Patrick