[Bldg-sim] New Rules of Thumb for Design Loads

Christian Kaltreider ckaltreider at sudassociates.com
Tue Oct 29 06:06:28 PDT 2013

Hello Group,

Does anyone know of any articles/papers/publications which address peak
design loads for buildings as energy codes evolve?  I am looking for basic
rules of thumb for sf/ton (cooling) and btuh/sf (heating).  People use these
rules of thumb all the time for initial assessments, sanity checks on
simulation results, etc, but I'm not sure that the rules of thumb are being
updated as energy codes become more aggressive.  For example, the engineers
I have been around since I entered the engineering world (granted, that was
only a few years ago) seem to always go back to 400 sf/ton as a standard
value, then adjust up or down depending on building characteristics.  I
haven't seen this  number change as buildings improve, or as I move to
different climate zones.  To be clear, I am interested in design loads, not
annual energy usage.

(Note:  Before anyone lambasts me for even bringing up rules of thumb for
design, I'll go ahead and say that I know they are gross estimations at
best, and should be used with extreme caution and judgment.  Nonetheless, I
see them used all the time, so I might as well get as good numbers as I can.
And a project I am on right now actually requires it (by owner) in
preliminary design.)

Thanks for your help,
Christian

Christian Kaltreider, LEED AP | Energy Analyst
Sud Associates, P.A. | T 828.255.4691 | F 828.255.4949 |
www.sudassociates.com