[Bldg-sim] Energy Program Usage Information

Varkie Thomas thomasv at iit.edu
Fri Sep 27 06:34:34 PDT 2013

I have expanded the question.

Is there information on the use of energy programs (EnergyPlus, eQUEST,
TRACE, HAP, IESVE, TRNSYS, etc.) used for code compliance and LEED
certification?

Is there statistical information comparing the predicted energy usage by
these energy programs and actual energy consumption measured on site?

Does code authorities and LEED USGBC check energy program predictions
against actual usage?

With Building Management Systems, the computer can record the actual energy
use and a program can show the deviation from predicted.  Sub-metering will
show energy use of components (CHW, HW & AHU systems, etc.)

Varkie Thomas

http://www.iit.edu/arch/faculty/thomas_varkie.shtml