[Bldg-sim] Reducing Fan Power for ERVs

Porter, Fred AEC FPorter at archenergy.com
Fri Apr 18 09:16:45 PDT 2014

I'm trying to reduce the annual energy use of some DOAS/ERV fans which will run at constant volume 24/7 365 days per year.

Right now we have 3.5" TSP on the supply/OA and 2.25" TSP on the exhaust. I'm looking at some of the obvious measures to reduce the design static.

Right now the fan efficiencies in this unit are in the mid to low 50%s. The fans are part of the ERV and are just described as "forward curved;" I didn't think a squirrel cage fan could handle that static but whatever they have is rated for it.

So, would any of the designers on this list have specific suggestions for ERVs with fans that would be more efficient at these conditions?

Thanks,
Fred
Fred Porter, BEMP, LEED(c) AP
Senior Energy Analyst
Architectural Energy Corporation
A Member of NORESCO Energy and Sustainability Services
2540 Frontier Ave, Suite 100, Boulder, CO  80301
Phone 303.459.7425 |  fporter at archenergy.com<mailto:fporter at archenergy.com>
www.archenergy.com<http://www.archenergy.com>