[Bldg-sim] Chiller Improvement Evaluation

RobertWichert robert at wichert.org
Tue Feb 11 06:47:53 PST 2014

Dear Sebastian,

I start with kW/ton ratings at AHRI conditions from the manufacturer.
Those are good inputs into the software.  I use Energy Pro, but I
believe most software can take that as input.

It is theoretically possible to estimate performance with evaporative
pre-coolers if you have reliable effectiveness and chiller data.

Most programs will allow VFD or multi-speed pumps as well.

Robert Wichert

On 2/10/2014 1:56 PM, Sebastian Carrizo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to assess possible energy savings from improving different
> areas of a chiller plant (cooling towers, adding free cooling, VFDs,
> controls). Currently all the information I have is a snapshot of the
> chiller plant performance at 2pm every day of the summer.
>
> Is there a simple way to evaluate kWh saved? If modelling is the best
> option which software is the best for this kind of analysis?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Sebastian
>
> --
>
>     *Juan Sebastian Carrizo*
>     M.Eng Sustainable Energy | B.Eng Industrial Engineering
>
>     (c) 647-225-2243 | juan.carrizo at alumni.carleton.ca
>     <mailto:juan.carrizo at alumni.carleton.ca>

Robert P Wichert P.Eng. Inc.
LEED AP, HERS II, CEA