[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE App G VAV Fan Curve

Michael Wetter mwetter at lbl.gov
Thu Feb 27 06:49:30 PST 2014

Fred,

The reason for "forcing" zero power at zero mass flow rate is because the
temperature raise across the fan is dT = P/m_flow/cp, where P is the power
of the fan, m_flow is the mass flow rate and cp is the specific heat
capacity. If P were not zero at m_flow=0, one would get an infinite large
temperature raise. Forcing P=0 if m_flow=0 is for numerical reasons, which
is important as continuous time simulators cross the region of very small
flow rates when equipment is switched on or off. However, proper
implementation of controls will not simulate the fan at such low speed for
extended periods of time, as this region is outside of the capability of
the real equipment. Therefore, this treatment does not affect your energy
saving calculations.

For a more in-depth discussion about this topic, see Section 4 in
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/19401493.2013.765506

All the best,

Michael