[Bldg-sim] displacement ventilation with low ceiling height

Mon Jan 27 09:01:06 PST 2014

Folks,

Some innocent (read: ignorant) questions about DV:
What if a displacement ventilation system is applied to spaces with
low ceiling height:

1. Is there any negative consequence? I know that the benefits of DV
will not be achieved. But I see this as a missed opportunity, not a
negative consequence.

2. What will the air distribution be? Will it change into a mixed
ventilation? This is related to the above question. If the only
consequence of DV with low ceiling height is that it will be switched
back to a mixed ventilation, then there is really no negative effect
of using DV with low ceiling height.

3. Or may be there a cost consideration in this? is DV generally more
expensive than mixed air system?

4. Can the above questions be answered with EnergyPlus's DV model?

Any pointers to previous studies on this will be greately appreciated?

Thanks,

Ery