[Bldg-sim] Existing Envelope for LEED v3

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Mar 21 06:24:35 PDT 2014

Hi Ken,

Attached is  thread from 9 months back where I reported being corrected to use actual envelope constructions for 3 consecutive projects (reviewed simultaneously), and also to remove baseline rotations.

My understanding since then hasn't altered, though I'm uncertain whether this is spelled out anywhere explicitly with regard to LEED's review policies:  If your building's footprint isn't changing by more than 50%, for modeling purposes at least the project is classified a "retrofit" rather than new construction, and so the guidance/requirements become to match pre-existing envelope constructions for the baseline model (and to not rotate), in accordance with Table G3.1 language on the point.   I haven't run into a similar LEED review scenario since that time however - would be great to hear any others' experiences that would reinforce (or refute) this understanding!
The following CIR (for LEED for homes) evokes the same Table G3.1 language that I think was cited for my case:

Made on: 08/03/2009 | LEED Interpretation

Prerequisite/Credit: EAc1: Optimize Energy Performance
Primary Rating System: Homesv2008

Click here to view the full entry: http://www.usgbc.org/leed-interpretations?keys=2673
Of related interest: LEED at one point made the interpretation of "if you touch it, model minimum baseline requirements instead of existing conditions," but subsequently retracted that interpretation and declared this incorrect.  This is documented here:

Made on: 02/20/2009 | LEED Interpretation

Prerequisite/Credit: EAp2: Minimum Energy Performance
Primary Rating System: NCv2.2

Click here to view the full entry: http://www.usgbc.org/leed-interpretations?keys=5182
I dug up these two CIR's here- you may find a more directly applicable CIR if you've got the time to shuffle through the search results =):  http://www.usgbc.org/leed-interpretations

Best regards,