No subject

Thu May 8 09:17:00 PDT 2014

IES
<VE> both from the point of view of time taken to carry out a project,
initial learning and picking up projects again months down the line.
=20
COST
DesignBuilder initial purchase cost is much lower than IES <VE>. One =
should
also bear in mind total cost of ownership rather than just initial =
purchase
cost when making the decision, including consideration of time taken to
learn software and the time it takes to create a building model.
=20
HVAC MODELING
IES <VE> has a flexible modular HVAC modeling capability, but it takes a
relatively long time to learn and set up a particular model. It does not
model water side.
=20
DesignBuilder has compact HVAC which allows typical HVAC systems to be
modeled quickly and easily, but is currently lacking in flexibility.
DesignBuilder version 1.3 (to be released end May) will be a significant
improvement with almost full implementation of EnergyPlus compact HVAC
systems. Many advanced DesignBuilder users use the software for =
exporting
EnergyPlus IDF building descriptions for more detailed modeling in the
EnergyPlus editor.  DesignBuilder version 2 (to be released early 2008) =
will
have a full diagrammatic modular HVAC UI providing access to most of the
EnergyPlus HVAC systems.
=20
OTHER CAPABILITIES
IES <VE> has a much wider range of other applications linked into the
virtual environment including pipe and duct sizing, radiance, CFD, 3-D =
CAD
interoperability through gbXML.=20
=20
DesignBuilder is a more focused building energy simulation, thermal =
design
and visualization product. DesignBuilder version 2 will have =
high-quality
CFD simulations and 3-D CAD interoperability through gbXML (as well as =
the
above-mentioned diagrammatic EnergyPlus HVAC editor).=20

Best regards,

Mahabir=20

Mahabir Bhandari, Ph.D.
LEED=AE Accredited Professional