[Bldg-sim] question regarding lighting efficiency/gains units of measurement

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Wed May 28 08:17:39 PDT 2014

"Anyway, for the sake of a dimensional analysis:
1 lux = 1 lumen/W. "

Uhm, no it doesn't.

Refreshing as it is to see this discussion trending toward the true meaning of lighting efficiency, this is a wiggly target. Too often here in the US we see "payback analysis" on lighting efficiency upgrades based solely on luminous efficacy, or lumens per watt, or the amount of light (luminous flux) that comes outta the lamp. Problem is, we're trying to illuminate a space and a task, and the metric here is luminous flux density, or lux, which is *lumens per meter squared*.

Lamps (light bulbs) get shoved into light fixtures (or fittings, or luminaries, whatever), and they spew light, and the light fixture (reflector, lens, whathaveyou) sends some of that light on its way into the room, which in turn does more stuff to the light -- it absorbs some, it reflects some, and some literally goes out the window. The final answer of how much light makes it to the task is expressed in lux, yes. But this result is derived by calculating the effect of the *space* on the light that made it out of the fixture. This will depend on the shape of the room (specifically, its room cavity ratio) and the reflectance of its surfaces, primarily. The answer is different for every unique space.

The point is you need to do at least a rudimentary illuminance calculation with the new lighting to confirm the ultimate goal (task illuminance) is still being met with the new tech. ASSuming it does, then you are able to simply relate the new tech to the old in terms of lux/watt, i.e. How much "seeing power" you end up with on the desk for a given amount of electrical power consumed.

This of course tells you nothing about the overall quality of the visual environment, but it's still better than just looking at lamp efficacy.

Rob Guglielmetti
NREL Commercial Buildings Research Group
Golden, CO 80401
robert.guglielmetti at nrel.gov