[Bldg-sim] Fwd: Variation in incident solar radiation on east and west surface of a building in different simulation tool

Mayank Bhatnagar mayank.23aug at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 04:42:18 PDT 2014

Dear All,

I am doing envelope analysis of a rectangular building in eQuest. The
building have identical parameters for all perimeter zones. The simulation
is being done for New Delhi climate zone. The results shows that the total
solar heat gain through glazing is more in east zone compare to west zone.
In the result of that the total load and energy consumption in east zone is
higher than in west zone.

To verify the results, I analyzed the total horizontal and beam radiation
incident on east and west facade. Here, the issue was started. In the
eQuest, there always high incident solar radiation in east surface compare
to west surface. However, the incident solar radiation on east and west
surface in energy plus and TRNSYS have different trend from the eQuest.
Here I am attaching graph showing variation of incident solar radiation in
east and west facade with energy plus and TRNSYS.

Any guidance, suggestions will be appreciated.

1. Variation in eQuest and TRNSYS. (Blue and green is for eQuest and;
Magenta and brown for TRNSYS)

[image: Inline image 1]

2. eQuest and Energy Plus
[image: Inline image 1]