[Bldg-sim] Fwd: [Equest-users] Fwd: Variation in incident solar radiation on east and west surface of a building in different simulation tool

Mayank Bhatnagar mayank.23aug at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 08:53:58 PDT 2014

Dear Joe,

Thanks for your response and interest in this issue. I have done some more
analysis and would appreciate your inputs.

I am using the same weather file for both energy plus and eQuest. As eQuest
uses BIN format I converted the same epw format file using eQ_wthProc tool
(EPW to BIN converter). I have attached a spreadsheet (New
Delhi_ISHRAE_2014EPW.xlsx)  that compares Total global Horizontal radiation
and direct normal radiation for EPW file (by converting it into CSV format)
and eQuest hourly outputs (as it reads BIN file). Since both the global
horizontal and direct normal radiations are identical, conversion from epw
to bin seems correct. Additionally, as you know, eQuest doesn't take
diffused radiation from the weather file, it calculates itself.

Since I am using the same source file for both eQuest and Eplus simulations
I would expect similar trend in solar radiation data for both East and West
facades. However, for Delhi I found variation in solar radiation output for
east and west facade. I have attached results spreadsheet (eQUest and
energy plus_Miami and Delhi_v1.xlsx) for your reference.

Interestingly, when I performed a similar analysis for "Miami epw and bin
file", I got fairly consistent results (refer graph below, the results are
for June 6 to June 9)

[image: Inline image 1]  [image: Inline image 2]
[image: Inline image 3]
[image: Inline image 5]

I would like to understand the inconsistency in results for the Delhi case
in particular.

Regards,
Mayank