[Bldg-sim] simulation program for green roof

hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au
Sun Sep 28 14:42:52 PDT 2014

	Hi Joe,

	A lot to think about below. In short I hadn't considered evapo
transpiration as we were trying to explain what was being observed for
a change in solar absportance on a metal deck roof - a cool roof with
a solar absportance of about 0.15 to 0.2 relaive to a more
conventional metal deck roof with probably SA>0.5 allowing for ageing.
A vegetated roof certainly would introduce the issues you refere to
below.

	There has been some further research since the 2011 paper which has a
bit more academic rigor (my paper was based on empirical observations
and rough calculations to make a point) and it shows that the bias can
be fairly significant even with a 3-5 m/s wind. The University of
Wollongong had carried out some advanced 3D CFD studies (sponsored by
two companies) to show the bias in above roof temperatures and roof
surface temperatures (biased by the air temperature above being
higher) can be significant under many conditions. The bias occurs on
any roof, but for small roofs it is insignificant compared to other
fcators so we ignore it but it acumulates / aggregates to create an
urban heat island. However for larger shopping centre airport, and
industrial roofs the impact can become quite significant (2-5DegC). It
is on roofs such as these that AC energy savings for cool roofs have
been measured to be significant - 4-5 times higher than what typically
gets simulated with a modern energy simulation engine.

	With truly green roofs, I agree with you that the benefits are
significant. There is an interesting debate emerging in Australia
whether it is better to cover roofs in photovoltaics or make them
green. I saw something late last year that I think Art Rosenfeld
around whether it was better to make roofs white or green. I didn't
get a chance to revisit it so can't really comment on the artricle /
paper here.

	I will try to remember to loop back on this forum / thread when the
research gets into the public realm.

	Regards,

	Graham