[Bldg-sim] 90.1 2010 - ERV - Fan Power Limitation Pressure Drop Adjustment

Javed Iqbal javedvit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 07:50:05 PDT 2015

​Fan power adjustment is always on the total CFM and by evaluating
following options in similar line of thought, I feel option:1 is the right
approach because in the option:1 the total CFM remains 10,000 whereas it
doubles ~20,000 ​in option:2.

I hope other experts could chime in and share their experience.

Thank you,

> Hello,
>

> With 90.1 2010, I wonder how to apply the fan power limitation pressure
> drop adjustment formula for an ERV:
>

> (2.2 •  Energy Recovery Effectiveness) - 0.5 in w.c. for each airstream
>

> I don’t find example in the 90.1 user’s manual about ERV, does the “for
> each stream” statement apply to the “0.5 in w.c.” or to the all formula ?
>

> With a 10,000 cfm ventilation fan and a sensible wheel with a 60%
> efficiency, what would be the pressure drop adjustment for the ERV?
>
> ·         10,000 • ( (2.2 • 0.6 ) - 0.5 • 2) = 3,200 hp
>

> Or
>

> ·         10,000 • 2 • ( (2.2 • 0.6 ) - 0.5)=16,400 hp
>

> It’s definitively not the same !
>
> Thanks
>

> Julien
>

> *Julien Dutel,* ing., CEM, CMVP*.*
>
> Direction des secteurs résidentiel, institutionnel et des affaires
>
> Bureau de l'efficacité et de l'innovation énergétiques
>
> Ministère des Ressources naturelles
>
> 5700, 4e Avenue Ouest, B-406
>
> Québec (Québec)  G1H 6R1
>
> Téléphone : 418 627-6379, poste 8060
>
> Téléphone sans frais : 1 877 727-6655
>
> Télécopieur : 418 643-5828
>
>  http://www.efficaciteenergetique.mrn.gouv.qc.ca
>
> *AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ*
>
> *Ce message est confidentiel. Il est à l'usage exclusif du destinataire
> ci-dessus. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire visé ou une personne
> autorisée à lui remettre cette communication, vous êtes par la présente
> avisé qu'il est expressément interdit* *de le diffuser, de le distribuer,
> de le reproduire,* *d'en dévoiler la teneur ou de prendre quelque mesure
> fondée sur l'information qui y est contenue. S’il vous a été envoyé par
> erreur, veuillez en informer immédiatement l'expéditeur par téléphone au
> 418 627-6379 et détruire ce message ainsi que toute copie de celui-ci.*
>
> *P*     Devez-vous vraiment imprimer ce courriel? Si oui, pensez
> l’imprimer recto-verso!

Javed Iqbal, LEED AP, CEA
Sr. Energy Analyst