[Bldg-sim] LEED v4 ligthing devices

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Tue Feb 24 12:50:28 PST 2015

Hi friends,

To confirm:  I would describe a luminaire as the combination of lamp(s),
fixture, socket(s), drivers/ballasts.  A lighting system is any combination
of luminaires + controls + power/wiring.

I personally read “manual” to essentially mean “user-initiated” control, as
opposed to “automatic” controls.  9.4.1.2 applies to both automatic and
manual controls.  I think that’s in line with the discussion so far.

To explain by way of examples, assuming a basic conference room, here are
some simple solutions meeting the requirements of 9.4.1.2:

·         Two identical luminaires in the space, each capable of providing
sufficient general illumination.  Two ON/OFF toggle switches at the entry,
each controlling a separate fixture.

·         Any number of fixtures on a continuous dimmer

·         Any number of fixtures on a “stepped” (fixed levels of
illumination) dimmer with one setting resulting in a power draw between 30
and 70% of full load

·         A conference room without manual controls (I realize I’m
stretching, bear with me), but rather illuminated via some combination of
fully automatic control including continuous daylight sensors, timer
control, and occupancy sensors

Each of these scenarios poses a means by which the user can manually
control or the control system can automatically have the lights consume
something between 30 and 70% of the full lighting load.  Note this energy
standard doesn’t push too hard with respect to quality of light delivery,
but be mindful of the glossary entry for “lighting, general.”

As to parking, you might be in the clear with the system you’ve described.
Before focusing on the automatic reduction passage below, consider section
9.4.1.3 leads with allowances to exempt automatic controls for security
reasons or intended 24-hr operation (“comply with 9.4.1.1”, *and its
exceptions!*).  That said, beyond the other requirements for
perimeter/ramp/entry controls and safety/security exemptions, my reading is
that the intent is to generally require automatic power reduction of at
least 30% via occupancy sensors.

The chosen wording “each fixture” implies a combination of luminaires and
controls more sophisticated (yes, expensive) than ON/OFF control, and that
wording is most likely intended to ensure the reduced lighting level is
uniform, and thereby maximally safe and adequate for the purposes of
avoiding liability for those enforcing this standard as code or referencing
it for design.  If the engineer responsible for the lighting design is
comfortable making a written case to the appropriate authorities &
concerned parties (in this instance, inclusive of your LEED reviewers) that
an alternate energy reduction approach is sufficiently safe in the reduced
state and otherwise is in keeping with the requirements for automatic power
reduction, then including such supporting documentation alongside your
other model documentation *ought* to be sufficient.

… But that’s just my opinion.  Another correct answer would be to design to
the applicable energy standard from the start ;).

Another correct answer is nobody may be looking as hard at these minutiae
as we are, and long email discussions won’t change that reality... such is
the curse of being passionate about your job!

I hope that’s helpful!

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*
*Owner*