[Bldg-sim] Real-time pv yield as a surrogate for irradiance

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Mon Jul 20 16:07:33 PDT 2015

This is an intriguing idea (using PV output as a surrogate for
irradiance), but there are a number of complications that need to be
investigated:
1. PV efficiency degrades with temperature; therefore, you have to have
some way to adjust the output by the temperature of the PV (not the air
temperature)
2. you also need to adjust for the tilt and azimuth of the PV panels to
derive the equivalent global horizontal radiation.
3. you also need to split the global horizontal into direct and diffuse
radiation, which could be done using a number of direct/diffuse split
models, which is what's done for 99% of the weather files anyway because
I've yet to find any measured direct normal radiation outside of
strictly research applications.

When I look at this list, all three could be done using a building
energy simulation program,  provided that you know the absorptivity of
the PV and its conversion efficiency as a function of temperature,  but
at this point it's getting more hairy than calculating the solar
radiation from standard weather station data or, beginning in Sept 2015
for US locations, downloading the solar radiation from NREL.

I'm not being critical, and actually I am quite intrigued by this
technique, and would be happy to help evaluate how well it works.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A