[Bldg-sim] Energy model calibration - normalizing the utility bills to month start-end

Macumber, Daniel Daniel.Macumber at nrel.gov
Sat Jun 27 13:26:19 PDT 2015

Since we have your ear Jeff, I have wondered if Guideline 14 describes any penalty to apply to the goodness of fit metric when allowing unknown parameters to be varied to improve the fit to monthly data?  Something like how adjusted R-squared or AIC penalize models with more parameters?  It seems that if you achieve a given level of goodness of fit after fiddling with a bunch of parameters then that is not as good as achieving the same level of fit with fewer free parameters.  Is there any way to estimate the number of degrees of freedom lost when changing a single numeric model parameter like ACH vs a more complicated one like changing out entire HVAC curves?

Dan