[Bldg-sim] Use of simulation for ASHRAE 62.1 for compliance.

Wealend, Edwin e.wealend at cundall.com
Sun Mar 22 18:35:14 PDT 2015

Hi Hema,

For the last natural ventilation design I had reviewed, Nathan’s suggestions are sensible – using an annual simulation and bulk airflow modelling within a software such as IES or TAS. Our reviewer requested a further 3-4 steady state CFD simulations using boundary conditions calculated in the bulk airflow model at typical times (including velocities/temperatures at openings calculated based on the same annual climate data used for the energy modelling). These CFD simulations were taken at typical times of the year to show that both mean age of the air wasn’t too high (i.e. that there were no occupied areas that the fresh air was not reaching), and that the temperatures in the spaces as a result of a natural ventilation strategy were not too cold.

Essentially you need to prove that you will achieve the fresh air rates required, without sacrificing comfort and use the CFD to prove the fresh air distribution is acceptable. I wouldn’t say you need to show significantly higher ventilation rates – in winter this would be a significant energy penalty, and you would expect to meet the minimum standard – however, due to the un-predictable nature of the wind, we took the approach of proving that the minimum ventilation in the occupied period always exceeded the requirements of a DOAS mechanical system. This was acceptable to our reviewer.

Unfortunately, 62.1-2007 is not a good tool for passive design – It’s very much a worst case set of criteria.

Hope that helps,
Ed

Edwin Wealend
Principal Engineer
Cundall Engineering Design Consulting (Shanghai) co., Ltd
宽德工程设计咨询(上海)有限公司
T +86 021 5836 6138
F +86 021 5836 6137
www.cundall.com.cn<http://www.cundall.com.cn/>

[cid:image004.png at 01D051A9.19F16E00]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/cundall>  [cid:image007.png at 01D051A9.19F16E00] <http://twitter.com/#!/cundall_global>
Suite 2102, 21/F, Longyu Tower, 1036 South Pudong Road, Pudong, Shanghai, 200120, P.R.China
上海市浦东新区浦东南路1036号隆宇大厦2102室    邮编: 200120