[Bldg-sim] Domestic Hot Water Heaters With VRF

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Thu May 7 15:15:05 PDT 2015

Interesting idea!

Whatever simulation package you choose to leverage, I think you may
anticipate blazing a new trail to some extent.  I am unaware of any
purpose-built tools for simulating the specific task at hand.  If anyone
*would* know of such tools, it might be the R&D departments for
manufacturers pushing such combination systems
(Toshiba/Mitsubishi/others?).  If time is on your side, sending a query up
the manufacturer chain might be worth your while.

At present, if you should opt to utilize eQuest/DOE2 for your study, VRF
with heat recovery function (“free heating/cooling” via zonal transfer) can
be *approximated* via post-processing of the hourly outputs.  Having tread
this path a number of times for different building types and having studied
various published/unpublished guidance for such procedures (one can source
such guidance in attachments within the [equest-users] archives), what
you’re considering exploring with DHW could be relatively simply layered
into the post-processing efforts with a small set of extra assumptions (and
a fair effort to accurately schedule/quantify DHW loads within the
simulation).  I’d want to get all the cutsheets in front of me and to have
the equipment rep(s) for the basis of design at-hand to ensure appropriate
safety factors and assumptions of system behavior are addressed at the
outset of the study.

Agnostic to your simulation package preferences/decision:  Thinking out
loud and considering how the potential for savings may inverse with the
season, especially for a climate like KS where the seasonal swings are
sustained and pronounced, it would be worthwhile to establish whether the
SHW/VRF systems might be “de-coupled” on a simple-seasonal or monitored
basis in a cost-effective / low-maintenance / buildable fashion.  If
feasible, I would plan to include quantifying the associated annual savings
potential for a simple ROI check with your results.

Let us know how it goes!

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*
*Owner*