[Bldg-sim] Comparing ASHRAE 90.1 App G Models to Real Buildings

Jim Dirkes jim at buildingperformanceteam.com
Thu May 21 10:50:39 PDT 2015

It occurs to me that every energy modeler "worth his / her salt" recognizes
the limitations of a "baseline" model.  It's a reference point intended to
compare with another reference.  It's a relative, not an absolute,
comparison.

The models which compare predicted versus actual (e.g., utility bill)
performance are a different matter.  At that point, you start trying to
gain understanding about why the model differs from reality.  Until you
have actual data, however, it's all relative and may bear little
resemblance to reality.