Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Energy Modeling

At this point in time, which tool to use depends on several things:

1.  Do you need a windows-style graphical user interface for
developing input files?

There are several mature interfaces available for DOE2.1E at this
time.  For EnergyPlus, we expect the first interface to be available
later this summer.  Also tools to make using EnergyPlus easier--
although it's not a full user-friendly interface--are now available.
Check out these two web sites for more information:
http://www.deringergroup.com/Software/EPlusTools.htm and
http://www.tse-inc.net/epi.htm

2.  What types of applications do you intend to analyze?

While there is much overlap between EnergyPlus and DOE-2.1E, each
program is able to model certain features that cannot be modeled in
the other.  So, it is important to determine if the program you
choose can do what you need to do.

3.  Regarding status of DOE-2.1E

While there will essentially be no more development of new features
for DOE-2.1E, it is still available and supported.  While one would
expect users to ultimately migrate to EnergyPlus once interfaces
become available and feature gaps are filled, it is feasible that DOE-
2.1E will still be used for several years.  For more information on
DOE-2.1E, including the availability of training, see

http://simulationresearch.lbl.gov/

4.  Regarding training for EnergyPlus

Training materials are currently under development, and it is
anticipated that training may be offered as early as Fall 2002.

5.  For a comparison of EnergyPlus vs. DOE-2.1E, see

http://www.eren.doe.gov/buildings/energy_tools/energyplus/pdfs/Crawley
_BS01.pdf

http://www.eren.doe.gov/buildings/energy_tools/energyplus/pdfs/energyp
lus_ebj_april_2001.pdf

On 14 Jun 2002, at 15:39, sustainableengineer wrote:

> We would like to perform USA building energy simulations and are
> unsure whether to use DOE 2 or Energy Plus.  I have read that Energy
> Plus has more capabilities than DOE 2 but DOE 2 requires more
> complex input; however Energy Plus units are SI.
> 1.Would it be worthwhile to learn DOE 2 at this point since has been
> around longer?
> 2.Is DOE 2 going to be phased out and replaced with Energy Plus at
> some point in future?
> 3.Is the Energy Plus learning curve faster?
> 4.Is there information available on comparing DOE 2 to Energy Plus?
> 5.Are there going to be any future Energy Plus training sessions
> available?
> 6.Are there DOE 2 training sessions?

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is: