RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] interfaces

To respond to the question about user interfaces for EnergyPlus.

Energy Coding is developing a software tool called DesignBuilder which can
use either EnergyPlus or 3TC as the simulation engine.  We will be starting
a beta testing programme later in the year, and expect to release version
1.0 in March 2003.  The focus in the development of DesignBuilder has been
on ease-of-use and applicability at all stages of the design process.
Version 1.0 will allow access to most of the EnergyPlus fabric, ventilation
and lighting modelling capabilities, though interfaces for the heating and
cooling modelling will be more basic in version 1 and will probably be
through use of generic types (with the option of writing E+ script for
advanced users).  A full interface for HVAC modelling is planned for Version
2.

You can find out more about DesignBuilder from the (temporary) web site:
www.designbuilder.co.uk.

I would welcome a debate on the desired nature of future E+ system modelling
interfaces.  If you could have your ideal HVAC user interface to E+, what
would it look like?
What are the essential features?

I'm sorry I can't be more specific about beta test dates - much depends on
the finishing of the roofing modelling interface.  If all goes quickly, we
may be able to release early beta versions by September.

Andy
Andrew Tindale
Energy Coding, Palace Chambers, 41 London Rd, Stroud, Glos,GL5 AJ UK
tel: +44 (0)1453 755500