Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Example Files

At 08:10 AM 11/22/2002, Dr. Soteris Kalogirou wrote:

I wonder if a detailed description with drawings of the examples included in the example files that come with E+ exists. This will help new users to understand better the program structure and the way to input data in E+.

The short form of the answer to this is "no".

The example files are developed mostly by our development team to highlight / and (or) test some aspect of EnergyPlus that they are developing.  Therefore, the geometry of many look the same but the systems may be quite different.

Theoretically, each of the example files should have a group of comments at the top of the file which will give you some idea of the purpose of the file.  Likewise, the report variables included are chosen mostly by the developer to track certain variables they are looking at to assure that the development is proper.  Some example files have better comments than others.

Naturally, more examples are added as new features are implement or some of the example files may change to reflect new features (a good example of this in the upcoming release is 3zvent -- which is the COMIS example file).

Ideally, we will include some of these descriptions and maybe some common or uncommon drawings/diagrams in the Output Details and Examples document -- perhaps that will happen for Version 1.1 (which is expected to be released in April 2003).

Hope this helps.

Linda

EnergyPlus WebSite: http://www.energyplus.gov
Owner: EnergyPlus_Support list