Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Negative Cooling Load - New file uploaded to EnergyPlus_Support

The original question was:

> I calculated cooling load for one zone in Summer Design day
> condition. I found some strange facts when calculated cooling load
> using purchased air. When I checked "Opaque Surface Inside Face
> Conduction" I found negative cooling load through all walls at day
> time(14:00-18:00) except roof and floor. (floor is insulated.) At
> day time, "Surface Outside Temperature" is higher than "Surface
> Inside Temperature".    So, I don¡¯t know why negative cooling load
> occurred at day time. ??

In this run the walls are 12 inches (0.3m) of heavy concrete.  Due to
the thermal storage capacity of this construction, the inside and
outside surface heat fluxes can be very different from each other and
can be several hours out of phase.  The roof also gets very hot which
can cause the inside surfaces of the walls to become warmer than the
middle layers of the wall, causing heat to flow out from the inside
surface even at the same time that heat is flowing in from the
outside.

One must be careful to understand what "Opaque Surface Inside Face
Conduction" truly means.  It indicates the heat flow from the inside
face of the surface into or out of the surface itself.  It does not
indicate the heat flow from the surface to the zone air.  The cooling
load impact of a surface is governed by the inside surface convection
coefficient and the difference in temperature between the inside
surface and the zone air.  In this case, the hot roof is radiantly
heating the inside surface of the wall, and heat is flowing into the
wall and heat is also flowing into the zone air, because the zone air
is cooler than the wall surface.  So, it is not a "negative cooling
load".

Mike

On 10 Dec 2002, at 11:54, EnergyPlus_Support@yahoogroup wrote:

> Hello,

> a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the EnergyPlus_Support
> group.
>
>   File        : /Problem_Submittals/NegativeCoolingLoad.zip
>   Uploaded by : hojong74 <hojong74@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>   Description : Negative Cooling Load Occured at Day Time
>
> You can access this file at the URL

> als/NegativeCoolingLoad.zip

> Regards,
>
> hojong74 <hojong74@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
> appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx