Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Linux version - can it be used on a Mac?

Linda,

I saw your note with regard to EnergyPlus on the Mac, and thought I'd pass along my experiences regarding trying to get v1.1 running on Mac OS X.

v1.0.3 compiles runs fine, and I was hoping that it would be as easy to get v1.1 up and running. Unfortunately, that's not been my experience.

The first problem I ran into was easy to fix, and it has to do with line lengths. What I found was that a number lines in the source files are longer than the 132 character length allowed by the Fortran 95 standard. The fix was easy in that I just split the offending lines so that they were 132 characters or shorter. The Absoft compiler (ProFortran v. 8 for Mac OS X) doesn't support this "extension" to the Fortran 95 specification. Other compilers may have the same problem. Ideally, if only for portability, it would be great if future versions of the code stayed within the Fortran 95 standards.

The next problem is not quite so easy to fix, and it has to do with the manner in which structures are initialized in the v1.1 code. What I've noticed is that the were zero-based arrays of structures are used, the code sometimes relies on the compiler zeroing out the zero element of the structure (e.g., the schedules code). Apparently the Absoft compiler handles memory in dynamically allocated arrays of structures differently than the compiler you guys are using, and the lack of initialization of the structures is causing problems -- loose pointers and segmentation faults, to be more specific. I've talked with Absoft a few times regarding this subject, and they may devise a workaround.

I figured I'll let Absoft have a go at it before I spent too much time modifying the code. As I find out more, I'll keep you updated.

Greg Stark