[EnergyPlus_Support] Design Loads and Actual Loads

Hi Mike,

Is it typical for the peak design loads reported in the zone sizing file
to not match the peak from the heating and cooling rates? I have the same
day and design day schedules and have not specified any sizing
parameter....In the case I am simulating, the peak design loads in the
*.zsz file are more than the heating and cooling rates for all zones by a
factor ranging from 1.2 to 6.0!

ruchi.

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Michael J. Witte wrote:

> Ruchi:
>
> To check the actual loads against the design loads, compare your peak
> zone/sys sensible heating and cooling rates from the simulation
> period against the reported peak heating and cooling loads in the eio
> sizing report.
>
> Mike
>
> On 9 May 2003, at 18:10, Ruchi Choudhary wrote:
>

> > Thanks very much Mike. Following up on your explaination: I specified
> > the flow/zone method in the zone sizing object and noted resulting the
> > peak heating and cooling capacity of the system.
> >
> > Then, I increased the interior
> > space gains in the zone without changing the specified amount of
> > air/zone. I expected the capacity of the system to remain the same
> > because now it should use the flow/zone to size the system capacity.
> > However the peak system capacity also changed.
> >
> > So it seems to me that the output in *ssz is based on loads obtained
> > from the design day simulation no matter what the airflow method
> > specification is. However both from what you say and the text in the
> > "Design Objects" section, it should not? Or is it that the flow/zone
> > is used for sizing components, but the system capacity will always be
> > sized on the basis of the design day simulation? Following are my
> > interpretations of the functional dependencies:
> >
> > System Capacity=f(sys. supply temperature, total massflow rate, total
> > outside air)
> >
> > total mass flow rate=f(sum of mass flow rates of all zones)
> >
> > mass flow rate of a zone = f(zone supply temp., design load)
> >
> > Are any of this "mis"-interpretations? Also, it would be great if you
> > could tell me which of these get affected if I choose the flow/zone
> > method for specifying airflow.
> >
> > also, when I specify the air/zone, the *.eio file outputs both the
> > air/zone calculated on the basis of design day simulation as well as
> > the value computed on the basis of the design day simulation...
> >

> > I also have another question :/
> >
> > How can I make sure that the actual energy use in the zone is close
> > enough to the design load (so the design load is not grossly
> > over-estimated)? Should I check the values of the heating/cooling rate
> > against the design load??
> >
> > thanks very much for your help!
> > ruchi.
> >

> > On Fri, 9 May 2003, Michael J. Witte wrote:
> >
> > > If you specify a volumetric airflow rate in the zone sizing object,
> > > then this overrides the design load calculation for that zone.  The
> > > specified rate is then used when sizing the central air handling
> > > components (fan, coil, etc.)  This does not override the specified
> > > supply air temperature for sizing.  Supply air volumes are sized to
> > > meet the sensible load in the zone based on the design day
> > > simulations.  For hourly details of these loads, see the *.zsz and
> > > *.ssz output files.
> > >
> > > Mike

> > > The primary EnergyPlus web site is found at:
> > > http://www.energyplus.gov

> [...]

Looking for the latest Free IT White Papers?
Visit SearchMobileComputing.com to access over 500 white papers.
Get instant access at SearchMobileComputing.com Today
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ZyjvfD/PLNGAA/uitMAA/dkFolB/TM