Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Trying to use energyplus for thermal transmission

Christian:

Yes, it is possible to simulate the layers that you propose.
However, the CTF algorithm reports only the inside surface
temperature and outside surface temperature.  You would have to use
the MTF (moisture transfer functions) algorithm in order to report
layer temperatures.  However, this introduces an extra level of
complexity which will impact the computed temperatures.  Perhaps with
the mositure properties set to some extreme so that moisture impacts
drop out, you might get a solution.  There are probably better tools
for surface conduction analysis at the level of detail that you
propose.

Mike

p.s.  I will be out of the office July 16-27.  E-mail sent to
mjwitte@xxxxxxxx will not be seen until I return.  Use energyplus-
support@xxxxxxxx or EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx so that others
can respond.

On 14 Jul 2003, at 18:06, c_eulitz wrote:

> Hallo out there,
> I've used energyplus for regular simulation of the thermal condition
> of buildings by defining zones with there surfaces around.
>
> But now I'm trying to use energyplus to calculate the thermal
> transmission through several surfaces:
>       Is it possible to create only one wall - construction, built of
> layers from different materials (for example window glas, PVC, air,
> concrete) and start a simulation for this wall with constant
> temperature (23°C) on one side and the outside temperature on the
> other side (by using the weather data)? The result I need to know is
> the surface temperature of every layer material inside of this wall,
> to get statements which structure is the best for my wall relative to
> the location built on.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Christian

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
> appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx