RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] effect of moisture on thermal insulation properties

In the second sentence, did you mean to say the thermal resistance is
reduced?

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Struck [mailto:Christian.Struck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 10:54 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] effect of moisture on thermal insulation
properties

Dear E+ user,

I was asked to assess how the thermal properties of wet natural fibres
compare to wet artificial fibres(rockwool).
One claims natural fibres absorb the moisture, the thermal conductivity is
reduced not as bad as for artificial fibres, which do not have the
capability to absorb moisture at all.

I would have used the MTF algorithm in  E+ to conduct the assessment. But...
since we have only one set of material properties available (vapour
diffusivity, prorosity, thermal gradient, isothermal moisture capacity)  I
am not sure how to represent different degrees of stored moisture.

Another thought was to change the external humidity and recalculate the
u-value based on the resulting heat transfer through the wall of concern.
....still it would not take into account moisture stored within the fabric
since I assume the materials given represent the material dry.

I would seriously appreciate every single comment on my request! So please
do not hesitate to hit the keyboard!

Best Regards,

Christian

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050073
89:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?
camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=536743135>

Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

Upgrade to 128-Bit SSL Security!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/p7cEmB/s7qGAA/yigFAA/dkFolB/TM