Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] VisualDOE input file interface

There is no complete solution, but there are several tools that can do
partial conversions of DOE-2 text input files to EnergyPlus *.idf input
files.  You should not work with the *.gph format files, which are binary,
but rather with the DOE-2 text input files that I believe are saved by
VisualDOE with a *.i1 extension (just open the file and make sure it's in
standard ASCII using DOE-2 BDL syntax).

There are two options to convert partially such DOE-2 input files to
EnergyPlus.  I think the standard EnergyPlus package available on the Web
comes with a DOE2Translator program that in a two-step process converts the
LOADS portion of DOE-2 input files to EnergyPlus. There is also a commercial
program DrawBDL (of which I am the author :-) ) originally written for
viewing building geometry in DOE-2 input files that can now convert the
building geometry portion of DOE-2 input files to EnergyPlus format (see
www.drawbdl.com).

The remaining parts of a DOE-2 input file, such as the SYSTEMS and PLANT
inputs, as well as any use of higher level inputs like macros, library
items, etc., must be done by hand.

Joe Huang