Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Construction for Radiant Slab Cooling

David:

Yes, if you wish to have a radiant slab between two zones and have it
affect both zones from a heat transfer perspective, then you will need to
specify the slab as an interzone partition.  Here are a couple of things to
keep in mind with radiant systems and interzone surfaces:

If the radiant system is embedded in concrete, you will always need to
split that concrete into two layers with the source/sink point between
those two layers.

With interzone surfaces, you must define the surface in each zone that it
is connected to.

If the hydronic tubing is not centered in the concrete layer or there are
other layers above or below the concrete that make the construction
non-symmetric, you will need to have two separate constructions so that the
order of the materials (outside to inside) from the perspective of the zone
you are in (this changes as you go from one zone to the other).

The radiant system is only defined for and controlled by one zone, not
both.  You must decide where the thermostat is located and use that as the
zone where the radiant system is located.  The program will figure out the
impact on the other zone automatically if the interzone surface connect is
done correctly.

I hope this information helps and answers your questions.  If not or if you
have further questions, please feel free to address them to entire support
community.

Rick Strand
EnergyPlus Development Team

At 04:46 PM 3/22/2004, you wrote:
>Hi, all;
>
>I have a question for modelling the radiant slab cooling.
>
>If the radiant slab is between two zones, eg, partition, slab etc.,
>how can I modele the construction of the interzones surfaces? For
>example, if I modele the concrete slab between two zones (upper and
>lower), should I seperate the concrete into two layers so each layer
>has the half thickness with internal source between them in one
>surface?  And then should I model the adjacent surface of other zone
>in the same way?
>
>Thanks a lot.
>
>David Tian

 -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.