[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Linux?

Hello Linda,

> What I would like to hear feedback on is Linux "versions" or
> "distributions".  Currently, we are using Redhat 8 as the Linux porting
> platform.  I don't even know if our distribution will then run on other
> Linux distributions.

For my part, I am in the process of migrating from SuSE to Debian.

I guess it is mainly irrelevant which platform you take for porting,
provided that your port adheres and obeyes the Linux file hierarchy
standard system agreement (or similar wording). As I never used Redhat
myself I cannot comment on it.

As you only provide "number crunching" applications this should be
transferrable to almost any Linux platform without any problems, if
you'd care to stay closer to common distributions of respective data and
programs.

There *is* a definite difference between usual Windows and Unix
strategies in that respect: While on Windows you tend to keep everything
inside a singular folder, files on Unix systems are distributed over
several principal branches in the file system. Just to copy windowish
habits tends to create larger problems on Unices than the differences of
the various major Linux distributions.

Just a very short annotation on how files should be distributed across a
unixoid operating system:

# Executables would go to /usr/bin or perhaps /usr/local/bin

# Library files would go to /usr/lib or likewise /usr/local/lib

# Accompanying data files (like weather data, or materials stuff)
   would go to /usr/share/eplus/...
   The search paths would have to be adapted to that behaviour!

# User specific settings would go to ~/.eplus/...
   (that is: the writable home directory of the respective user. Again:
    search path must be adapted to that, but since you can write the
    ~ as abbreviation of the respective users home dir, one directive
    would work for all.)

Access rights on publicly available files would have to be set
appropriately, like reading access (but not writing) to those files.
Doing that thoroughly would create a really usable calculation system
for the Linux branch - opposed to what we had on the e+ 1.1.x versions
that I installed before. That led to abundant copying of complete e+
distribution trees for several users, each creating his/her own
executable system.  :-(

Well, so much for my 2 ¢ ...

Best wishes,

	Peter
--
goethe GbR               Vollmer & Roosen GbR     Dr. Peter Roosen
www.goethe-gbr.de        www.linguadapt.de        www.peter-roosen.com

Der Tourenplaner-zu-Routenkonverter: http://www.gps-route.com
Die öffentliche GPS-Wegpunktedatenbank: http://www.gpspunkte.de
Internetgestützte Aphasietherapie: http://www.linguadapt.de/sh
Vergleichen Sie Ihre Firma: http://innoscan.duisburg.ihk.de
Energietechnische Kostenfunktionen: http://kfserver.kaiserstadt.de

privat: 50.7383 N, 6.0427 E

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM

 -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.