Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Real buildings in EnergyPlus?

In terms of simulation tools for design practices you have to pick and
choose different tools depending on the type of project.  In many
instances, a good spreadsheet will do.  Some times you might want to to use
a tool to evaluate natural ventilation potential so you will use a tool
such as esp-r or Trynsis to model part of the building to examine the
effects of natural ventilation.  Carrier HAP or Trane Trace are valuable
for strictly design purposes.  DOE2 or Energyplus can be used for whole
building energy simulation.  Radiance can help with daylighting
simulation.  Energy simulation requires a number of tools.  It is
worthwhile testing a wide range of them to see how you can use them in your
specific practice.

At 14:45 16/04/2004, John F. Kennedy wrote:
>Hello EnergyPlus users,
>
>I'm trying to determine what user's experience has been modeling real design
>projects/buildings with EnergyPlus.
>
>Can those of you who have run real projects/buildings provide me with the
>size of your model (#zones) and how long it took to building the model and
>run the simulation (full year)?
>
>We are trying to determine if it is worth the investment at this time to
>consider using EnergyPlus in our design practice. Any responses are very
>much appreciated.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>John Kennedy

>The primary EnergyPlus web site is found at:
>http://www.energyplus.gov
>
>The group web site is:
>
>Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
>folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.
>
>Yahoo! Groups Links

Chris Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, ON M5J2E3