Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Green Roof

It would seem that one step towards this enhancement may need to be adding rain amounts to the weather file data for E+.  I believe that currently there is only a raining indicator.

Ned Lyon

Senior Project Manager
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.

41 Seyon Street
Building #1, Suite 500
Waltham, MA  02453

Phone:  781-907-9000
Fax:  781-907-9009

>>> yjhuang@xxxxxxx 5/20/2004 7:59:04 PM >>>
The main thermal effects of "green" roof are the soil moisture and
evapotransporation from the surface. Functionally, these are the same
effects that have to be considered in a ground heat-transfer model. Lester
Shen (formerly at the Underground Space Center in the Univ. of Minnesota)
and I incorporated these effects in ground heat-transfer work we did 15
years ago,  One tricky part of it is that the results depends greatly on the
assumed evapotranspiration rate. Assume the soil is watered to the
evapotranspiration potential and the surface temperature will near the air
wet-bulb temperature; assume minimal watering and it wil be close to an
impervious surface.  If you're interested, I could dig up the old code and
give you more  details.

Joe