Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Energy losses through outside doors

I think you need to consider other aspects of the building operations
first.  This is not an easy question to answer with energy modeling.
How tall is the building; how active are the doors; are you concerned
with heating and cooling?

Consider that if your building is slightly pressurized during normal
operation, using any of the door types causes an exfiltration air flow
that does not directly increase the building load (assuming you are
already conditioning this throw away air).  If the door operation does
not increase the air flow available for pressurization, then there is no
additional energy use, but if a variable flow system speeds up with the
doors open, there may also be more air conditioned.

Heated, high-rise buildings often develop significant stack effects
which tend to draw in cold air at the lower level entries.  This does
increase loads by increasing infiltration.

Now rotating doors generally limit the air exchange during operation,
but they can not be sealed as tightly as swing doors so now you have to
consider if building infiltration during unoccupied hours becomes
costly.  Automatic sliding doors also can not be sealed as tightly as
swing doors, and I often walk past buildings with automatic doors that
operate even though I don't walk in.  Rotating doors are not friendly
for the disabled unless they are powered (now we have to balance
operating power).  If you have rotating doors, you probably have to have
some swing doors which people may use anyway.

If you have a tall building in a cold climate, rotating doors are
probably a benefit.  Anything else is probably difficult to quantify.
If you want to energy model it, you are probably going to have to make
your own inputs for variations in infiltration.

Ned Lyon

Senior Project Manager
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.

41 Seyon Street
Building #1, Suite 500
Waltham, MA  02453

Phone:  781-907-9000
Fax:  781-907-9009

>>> fraij@xxxxxxxxx 5/24/2004 12:00:56 PM >>>
Dear All,

     I have a case in which an owner of a building needs to know which
type of outside doors will be more energy efficient (i.e. which type is
more effective to reduce the load of the Air Conditioning system).

    He asked me about three door types: Automatic sliding doors,
rotating doors and hinged doors.

   So, can anyone provide me with a method to calculate the energy
losses through each type? or is there any study that has been made for
such case?

Your help will be highly appreciated

Thanks & Best Regards

Ahmad Fraij

Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo! Groups Links
To visit your group on the web, go to: