Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] EPlus learning curve

It is difficult to say how long it would take for any particular individual to
get up the learning curve for EnergyPlus.  It depends greatly on the types of
buildings and systems you intend to model.  The building geometry concepts are
fairly straightforward and the biggest challenge is managing the data to
describe the surface vertices.  HVAC system descriptions are quite different,
but this is best learned by using the HVAC templates when applicable and the
example files as guides.  I cannot speak to the reliability of the available
interfaces.  No matter what tool you use to generate your building envelope
description, you will always want to review it for accuracy using the dxf
drawing and the surface details report.

Mike

On 21 May 2004, at 16:08, Daniel Bourque wrote:

> Hello,
> I know there was a question a short while ago from someone (an
> architect, I believe) who wanted to learn to use EPlus, but this one is
> coming from someone who already uses commercial software to size
> equipment and perform energy simulations.  I work for a mechanical
> contracting firm, and we do a lot of our engineering in-house using
> Carrier's Hourly Analysis Program (HAP) software.  During a training
> session for EE4 (uses DOE2), the instructor said that he had
> investigated many sizing and simulation packages, and that HAP was "one
> of the better ones".  That being said, I think I have a fairly good
> knowledge of the ins and outs of the software and how to "tweak" it to
> model buildings that don't match one of the available options.
>
> Having been made aware of EPlus a short while ago, I have been reading
> the list items, and it seems like EPlus is a lot more flexible and can
> simulate a greater variety of systems as well as be able to graphically
> visualise the spaces and results.  My question would be:  EPlus seems to
> no longer be in the testing phase, and is solid/robust/reliable enough
> for commercial use.  However, the proposed interfaces are still in Beta
> mode, and from my understanding, space data has to either be entered
> manually or through one of the data converters (I'll admit I havn't read
> ALL the documentation yet or tried all the associated applications).  If
> this is the case, what would be the learning curve required for someone
> who already has experience modelling buildings to make the switch?
> Also, are the beta graphical interfaces reliable enough to rely on
> exclusively, or is converting data from existing drawings the best way
> to go?  Has anyone used HAP and can compare it to EPlus?
>
> Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel Bourque

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is: