Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] sizing of the system

EnergyPlus gives you the loads based on the
design day information, your schedules, and
the sizing factor.  Typical sizing factors are 1.2 and
up depending on how comfortable the designer is
with the calculated loads.  In actual practice, it is
not unusual to see equipment that is oversized by
a factor of 2.

                      "Ian Doebber"
                      <idoebber@xxxxxx>        To:       EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                               cc:
                      08/26/2004 04:45         Subject:  [EnergyPlus_Support] sizing of the system
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      EnergyPlus_Suppor

I am sizing various unitary cooling systems and am finding that the cooling
load size is fairly lower then standard values.  For a 2300 ft2 house, I'm
seeing 1.7-3.0 tons of cooling from Minneapolis to Miami respectively which
already includes a 20% increase. These are based upon the worst ASHRAE 2001
design day conditions in the "ddy" file.  Is the cooling capacity stated in
the "eio" file account for sensible and latent load.

I am also wondering whether the values that Energy Plus is giving me are
correct and that possibly the standard sizing information accounts a large
amount of oversizing to be on the safe side. I guess I am looking for
verification from anyone who has experienced the same situation were Energy
Plus gives lower sizing for cooling then the general standards.

Thanks
Ian

Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      To visit your group on the web, go to: