Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] When Weather Data isn't Available on the EnergyPlus web site

For those of you that have Meteonorm, here are the steps I use
to create a weather file for EnergyPlus:

1. Start Meteonorm.

2. Click the Site button.

3. Next click the WMO/OMM button and select the continent. (WMO
usually means there's a weather station recording hourly data.)

4. In the search site box, enter the first one or two characters
of the desired location name and a '*' and click on the >> button.

5. Select the site (if available) from the list and click OK.
If there isn't a WMO site available, go to step A.

6. If the location is there, click on the name and Meteonorm will
give any warnings about the data. Write down the warnings (in a
text file) and note that you used WMO, Station or City data, and
the version of Meteonorm used.

7. Click the Format button, select TMY2, and click OK.

8. Click the Hourly Values button, then click the Save button and
gave the TMY2 a name when prompted.

   (Use the ISO 3-letter country abbreviation followed by the city
    and the format. For Kathmandu, Nepal, this would be:
NPL_Kathmandu_MN5.tm2)

9. Convert to EPW using the EnergyPlus WeatherConverter.

10. Post a .ZIP on the EnergyPlus_Support YahooGroup under
Files/Meteonorm_Weather_files.  The .ZIP should include the .EPW,
.DDY, .STAT, and the warnings text file you created (give it a
.INFO extension).  Save the TMY2 source and the .AUDIT in a separate
.ZIP but do not post it to the YahooGroup.

If no WMO data are available, try this:

A. Click the Station button and select the continent again.

B. In the search site box, enter the first one or two characters of
the desired location name and a '*' and click on the >> button.

C. Select the site (if available) from the list and click OK. If
there isn't a site available, go to step Z. If there is a site, go
back to step 6.

Finally as a last resort, try this:

NOTE:  Quality of data declines exponentially if no WMO or Station
data is available.  Steps Z-X should be used if when no other data
are available.

Z. Click the Cities button and select the continent again.

Y. In the search site box, enter the first one or two characters
of the desired location name and a '*' and click on the >> button.

X. Select the site (if available) from the list and click OK. If
there isn't a site available, you are out of luck.  If there is a
site, go back to step 6.

                      "shital soni"
                      <utopian_arch@yahoo      To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      .com>                    cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] When Weather Data isn't
                      12/15/2004 09:07 AM         Available on the EnergyPlus web site
                      Please respond to
                      EnergyPlus_Support

It will be very useful .
I would like data for Kuwait, is it available on any site ohter than this?
Please also tell me how to use meteonorm to try and create it myself.
Thanks a bunch.
Shital Soni
Student at Cardiff University
MSc Environmental Design of Buildings

mby <bojic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It is intersting initiative. Can you make data for
Kragujevac, Yugoslavia.

Thanks in advance

Best regards
Prof. Milorad Bojic
University of Kragujevac
Serbia and Montenegro

(
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EnergyPlus_Support/files/Meteonorm_Weather_Files/

>  ).
>

> Each .ZIP includes a .STAT (EnergyPlus weather data
> statistics),
> .EPW (EnergyPlus weather file), and .INFO
> (Information about
> the source data and limitations from Meteonorm).
>
> IN ALL CASES, YOU SHOULD REVIEW THE .STAT FILE FOR
> THE LOCATION
> BEFORE USING ANY OF THESE FILES TO ENSURE THAT IT
> REPRESENTS
> THE CLIMATE OF THE LOCATION AS YOU UNDERSTAND IT. IN
> MANY CASES,
> A NEARBY LOCATION WITH MEASURED DATA WILL BE MORE
> APPROPRIATE THAN
> ONE DERIVED FROM STATISTICS. USE THESE FILES AT YOUR
> OWN RISK.
>
> The following locations are now available:
>
>    BRA_Rio.de.Janeiro_MN5
>    ETH_Addis.Ababa_MN5
>    HKG_Hong.Kong_MN5
>    HRV_Zagreb-Pleso_MN5
>    IRQ_Baghdad_MN5
>    IRQ_Basra_MN5
>    IRQ_Mosul_MN5
>    MEX_Monterrey.Ciudad_MN5
>    MEX_Monterrey.International.Airport_MN5
>    MLI_Bamako-Senou_MN5
>    NPL_Kathmandu_MN5
>    PAK_Hyderabad_MN5
>    PRT_Lisbon-Gago.Coutinh_MN5
>    PRT_Lisbon-Portela_MN5
>    SLE_Freetown_MN5
>    USA_NM_Santa.Fe_MN5
>    YUG_Novi.Sad_MN5
>
> Please note... Meteotest significantly updated the
> wind and
> other calculations [hourly wind direction in TMY2
> (which we
> use) was constant... the update makes them
> variable].
> If you received a file from the team before early
> December 2004,
> we strongly recommend that you download the new
> file.
>
> We are working on getting data for another 200
> locations
> over the next few months--targets include Italy (60+
> files),
> Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Ethiopia, Nepal, Bangladesh,
> and China.
> All except Italy are from the UNEP SWERA project (so
> we're
> waiting on the data to become available on the SWERA
> web site--
> swera.unep.net/swera/).
>
> As always, if you know of sources of weather data
> that
> we might be able to share with the EnergyPlus
> community,
> please contact us.
>
> EnergyPlus Development Team

http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
folder in the Files area of the Support Web Site.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM