Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Unitary System Problem

Mike,

Thanks for your help.  After making the change, I was able to run several of my cases.  I did have a couple of other questions though that came up as I was working with the model:

1)  I noticed that in order to use the reheat with FURNACE:BLOWTHRU:HEATCOOL, energyplus required me to use FAN:SIMPLE:CONSTVOLUME, rather than FAN:SIMPLE:ONOFF.  It also required me to attach the fan exit node directly to the cooling coil inlet, bypassing the heating coil.  This seemed a little strange, and was not in the input/output documentation anywhere, but was in the engineering reference documentation.  With these changes it appeared to work ok, and give me results.

2)  I am now trying to further modify the house furnace by using a heat exchanger assisted cooling coil.  I know the unitary system will not operate with this coil, so I am trying to mimic the furnace model using a fan, heating coil, and heat exchanger assisted cooling coil in the air loop.  My problem is that I can not figure out how to control them properly. The SetPointManager seems to control to a supply temperature, like would be used in a VAV system of a commercial building, and not a residential model.  I also have not had any luck controling the temperature with the set point manager, heating, dual setpoint, or otherwise.  I was wondering if you had any suggestions.  As a fallback, I modeled a heat only furnace in the air loop with constant fan, followed by a heat exchanger assisted cooling coil.  Even in this mode, I can not figure out how to control it properly.  The documentation seems to elude to the idea that a heat exchanger assisted cooling coil can be placed i
 n the
 zone loop, but the idf editor will not allow this.  I have attached the file I am working with.  If you had any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.  Preferably, I would like to be able to run the system as components, fan, heating coil, cooling coil, so I can model different configurations.

Thanks,

Chuck Bartlett

"Michael J. Witte" <mjwitte@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
The problem was inconsistent fan modes.  In the FURNACE:BLOWTHRU:HEATCOOL
object, the Operating Mode was set to CycFanCycCoil, but in the
COIL:DX:CoolingBypassFactorEmpirical object, the Supply Air Fan Operation Mode
was set to ContFanCycComp.  Changing this to CycFanCycComp eliminates the air
flow errors.  I'll post a change request (CR) to see if we can add a check for
this or at least mention this as a possible cause in the airflow warning.

Mike