Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] PID controllers

Maria,

EnergyPlus does not explicitly simulate any kind of feedback controller:
proportional, PI or PID.  What CONTROLLER:SIMPLE and other controllers
in EnergyPlus do is to enable the simulation of idealized control in
which HVAC equipment with no dynamics closely follows the set-point,
subject only to capacity constraints.  This approach enables the
efficient simulation of energy performance since the timestep can be
long relative to the closed loop dynamic response time of the real
equipment.  This approach does not allow the use of dynamic models of
HVAC components in EnergyPlus.

There are a number of simulation environments that allow the explicit
modeling of HVAC dynamics and control; one is SPARK (a free download
from http://simulationresearch.lbl.gov/).  A unique attribute of SPARK
is that it is in the process of being integrated with EnergyPlus, the
aim being to allow selected components and subsystems to be simulated on
short timescales within an EnergyPlus simulation.  I don't know whether
this capability will be available soon enough to meet your needs.

Phlip Haves
LBNL