[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Modeling bermed structures

Well, I gave it a try. I simulated a simple 160m2 zone without
windows. I assigned the ceiling and wall fabrics a soil object with
the following thermal characteristics:

conductivity (k)  = 0.5857 W/mK
density           = 1750   kg/m3
specific heat (c) = 1004   J/kgK

I gradually increased the thickness of the soil object with the intent
to simulate a 6 month internal temperature lag. When I go beyond a
thickness of 1.2 m, I get the error "CTF calculation convergence
problem for SOIL" where soil is the aforementioned soil object.
Tweaking k and c  allows for limited increase of soil wall/ceiling
thickness but the thermal lag of the zone decreases. The error occurs
using 1 hr or 6 hr timesteps. Can the wall thickness limitation be
circumvented?

Manu