Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Energy Balance

Are you interpreting "energy transfer" as the envelope heat transfer to/from
the zone?  This is not what it represents.  The Energy Transfer meters are used
for various HVAC system energy flows.  See the meter details (mtd) output file
for a list of specific report variables that are accumulated on a given meter.

There are no report variables available for the envelope contribution to the
zone load.  The list of variables here are heat *gains*, presumably all
components except the heat transfer through opaque surfaces.  The HVAC system
meets heating/cooling *loads*, and portions of the gains become loads
significantly later due to thermal mass.  Comparing over a daily basis helps,
but not all gains become a load.

If you want to confirm the physics and calculate the opaque surface heat
transfer, then the only accurate way is to set up a steady-state design day and
use UAdeltaT to calculate the surface heat transfer.

Mike

On 25 Aug 2005, at 19:11, Ali_Ajmi wrote:

> Hi All,
> I tried to balance the energy that losses in the North zone, in my five zone
> building, and energy needed by the system and gain by the solar to cover that
> losses. The report and meter variables that shown below shows that the energy
> transfer out of the zone in the first day of January too high comparable to the
> energy should be compensated the loss by the heating coil, people, lighting. A
> short list for  the variables that I used to do this analysis is below. could
> any one figure out which variable I may missed or error of value conversion from
> W to J.
>
> ZONE NORTH:Zone Window Heat Gain[W](Daily)
>
> ZONE NORTH:Zone Window Heat Gain[J](Daily)
>
> ZONE NORTH:Zone Window Heat Loss[W](Daily)
>
> ZONE NORTH:Zone Window Heat Loss[J](Daily)
>
> ZONE NORTH:People-Total Heat Gain[J](Daily)
>
> ZONE NORTH:Electric Eq-Total Heat Gain[J](Daily)
>
> ZONE NORTH:Cat00 Electric Eq-Total Heat Gain[J](Daily)
>
> ZONE NORTH:Infiltration-Sensible Heat Loss[J](Daily)
>
> ZONE NORTH:Infiltration-Sensible Heat Gain[J](Daily)
>
> EnergyTransfer:Zone:ZONE NORTH [J](Daily)
>
> 6.67E-01
>
> 2.40E+06
>
> 1.57E+03
>
> 8.64E+12