Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] "Surface Ext Solar Incident" (w/m^2)

I agree that one would expect the same value for incident solar [w/m2] for an
unshaded base surface and its subsurface.  The values of absorptance (thermal
or solar) should have no impact.  This is reporting the solar that is incident
on the surface, not the amount that is absorbed.

I have been testing this with several different files.  One of the files shows
exactly the same incident solar on base and subsurfaces, other files show very
tiny differences, and others show a more significant difference.  At this
point, I have no answer whether this is an input issue or an algorithm issue.

Mike

On 14 May 2006 at 18:22, Georgios Kokogiannakis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I run an annual simulation for a building and then looked at my "Surface Ext
> Solar Incident" (w/m^2) average annual results. For 2 vertical (opaque)
> surfaces
> that have the same orientation and nothing shades them (e.g. an external door
> on
> an external wall) I was expecting to get results that are only different
> because
> of their (external) thermal absorptance. However, it seems that this is not
> the
> case - am I considering something wrong here?
> For example:
> -External West wall with 0.5 (external) thermal absorptance gets average
> 51.84
> w/m2 incident solar radiation
> &
> -External West door with 0.65 (external) thermal absorptance gets average
> 55.31
> w/m2 incident solar radiation
>
> I would appreciate any help so that I make this clear.
> Thanks.
>
> Georgios

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.  Open EPlusMainMenu.idf and press the
> "search" button.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support