Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] opaque envelopes performances comparison

FYI

I'd suggest you do a proper lit search on this. There are 100s of papers in the literature dealing with this subject, including ASHRAE, ASES, ASME, Energy and Buildings, and Laboratory reports at  NREL, ORNL, LASL, etc. Many of the seminal papers were written in the 1970s and 1980s as this was a topic of concern when simulation programs first became available. Current work in this area involves load shifting by precooling. There was also a paper at the ASHRAE Quebec conf on an English application at a high performance building.

Unfortunately, the topic is still misunderstood by most designers, as evidenced by the over-simplified thermal mass "factors" in 90.2 and 90.1.

Jeff

Jeff S. Haberl, Ph.D., P.E.............................jhaberl@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Department of Architecture.......................Lab Ph: 979-845-6065

Energy Systems Laboratory.......................FAX: 979-862-2457

Texas A&M University..............................77843-3581

College Station, Texas, USA.......................URL: www-esl.tamu.edu

BB 8=/  8=)  :=)  8=)  ;=)  8=)  8=()  8=) 8=?  8=)  8=)  8= BB