Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] latent gains (2)

eric_zhou1223 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking of the conception of "latent gain". When people are dissipating vapor into the
> air, the vapor will cool down to the same temperature as the indoor air and give some heat.
> Then why the heat is called "latent"? It is still like something "sensible".

You are confusing scientific terminology with everyday English.

> I use a humidifier to make the indoor wet, then the water vapor should influence the internal
> load. It seems that the vapor will have something to do with the "Latent gains"
>
> It is my understanding that there should be an equation for the latent gain and humidification
> amount. But actually I couldnot find it from any references.
>
> Would somebody enlighten me on this subject?

The ultrasonic humidifier acts like an evaporative cooler. So if the
humidifier is in the supply air stream, you
could model it with an evap cooler. If you are not conditioning the air,
you can use the PEOPLE object and
the input field "user specified sensible fraction". Set this to nearly
zero and your people heat gain will be almost
all latent. You will need some sort of air flow - venilation,
infiltration, or air conditioning to see any effect.

The latent load in Joules is the the kg of water added times the latent
heat of water (around 2,450,000 J/kg).

Fred Buhl