RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Atria. One more thing

David,

There are basically two possible approaches when modelling tall spaces such
as atria using EnergyPlus/AIRNET (or any other simulation program coupled
with multi-zone airflow simulators):

1. Model the atrium as a single tall space or,

2. Model the atrium as a series of horizontal slices with air flow
connections between them.

Option 1, where the atrium is modelled as a single space is the best option
when using EnergyPlus/AIRNET because:

a) AIRNET openings are assumed to be LVO (Large Vertical Openings) and for
openings that are horizontal or near horizontal (LHO) no claims for accuracy
are made. If you had detailed information on the flow characteristics
through such fictitious openings (for example through CFD analysis or
measurements in a physical model) then it may be possible to calculate flow
coefficients and exponents to give approximate airflows and hence
temperature gradient through the space. As far as I know there is no
generally applicable data available on this.  In any case this approach
would not model any strong downward airflow paths.

b) There is no reliable way to get solar radiation pass through multiple
horizontal slices in the general case.

c) EnergyPlus allows you to set up a dynamically varying temperature
gradients to improve the accuracy of simulations in tall spaces. This can be
accessed in DesignBuilder using the Temperature distribution data on the
HVAC tab.  Be warned though that, in current versions, the EnergyPlus
temperature distribution model is not applied to airflow which occurs in the
AIRNET simulation so it is not possible for example to include the effect of
relatively warmer air being extracted from a vent at the top of an atrium.
In the simulation air would be extracted at the mean temperature. For more
information on air temperature distribution in DesignBuilder/EnergyPlus see:

www.designbuilder.co.uk/programhelp/index.htm#air_distribution.htm

So at the moment we have to live with some inaccuracy in EnergyPlus models
due to temperature gradients in tall spaces. Otherwise there is no problem.
DesignBuilder will soon include a CFD module which will calculate spatially
distributed temperatures within zones as a 'snapshot' but we have some way
away from dynamic CFD simulations!

In summary, there are inaccuracies involved with large horizontal openings
in AIRNET simulations (a and b above), but these may not be 'show stoppers',
especially if the openings are small.  I would recommend trying it to see if
hourly temperature results in the various zones look believable.
Considering all the other inaccuracies involved in building energy
simulations you may find that the approximation involved with using
algorithms intended for LVO to model LHO may not cause serious problems.

I hope this helps,

Andy Tindale
DesignBuilder Software