Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Humidity Issues

I suggest you revert back to a single cooling coil. Manually size this
coil if autosizing does not give you the performance you desire. You
won't get the same performance as a single coil. You must also add a
humidistat if you want to use humidity control and change the
Dehumidification Control Type to CoolReheat and the Run on Latent Load
input to Yes in DXSystem:AirLoop. I believe you will also have to change
to Coil:DX:MultiMode:Empirical using
CoilPerformance:DX:CoolingBypassFactorEmpirical objects for this to
work. Just use 1 cooling stage and 1 dehumidification stage. As for your
last question, the wet-bulb temperature should not increase across the
second cooling coil in your example file. If the second coil is off, the
wet-bulb temperature should be the same as that leaving the 1st cooling
coil. If the second coil is on, the wet-bulb temperature should always
be lower than that leaving the 1st cooling coil.

  DXSystem:AirLoop,
    1E DX,                   !- Name of DX Cooling Coil System
    On,                      !- Availability schedule
    1E Supply Fan Outlet,    !- DX Cooling Coil System inlet node name
    1E Cooling Coil Outlet,  !- DX Cooling Coil System outlet node name
    1E Cooling Coil Outlet,  !- DX Cooling Coil System Control Node
    COIL:DX:MultiMode:Empirical,  !- Cooling coil type
    1E DXSystem Cooling Coil,     !- Cooling coil name
    CoolReheat,              !- Dehumidification Control Type
    Yes,                     !- Run on Sensible Load
    Yes;                     !- Run on Latent Load

Add the new objects for the multimode DX coil.
Coil:DX:MultiMode:Empirical and
CoilPerformance:DX:CoolingBypassFactorEmpirical.

You also need to add Set Point Manager:Single Zone Max Hum object to set
the correct DX coil outlet humidity ratio.

You should also consider entering values for fields 13-16 below (default
suggestion from InputOutputReference.doc) in the
CoilPerformance:DX:CoolingBypassFactorEmpirical object. These fields
simulate latent degradation or re-evaporation of moisture from the
cooling coil when the compressor only runs a portion of the time step.
You should really always use these fields even when not simulating
humidity control.

COIL:DX:MultiMode:CoolingEmpirical,
    1E DXSystem Cooling Coil, !- Coil Name
    On,                      !- Availability Schedule
    1E Supply Fan Outlet,    !- Coil Air Inlet Node
    1E Cooling Coil Outlet,  !- Coil Air Outlet Node
    ,                        !- Crankcase Heater Capacity {W}
    10.0000002649095,        !- Maximum Outdoor Dry-bulb Temperature for
Crankcase Heater Operation {C}
    1,                       !- Number of Capacity Stages
    1,                       !- Number of Enhanced Dehumidification Modes
    CoilPerformance:DX:CoolingBypassFactorEmpirical,  !- Normal Mode
Stage 1 Coil Performance Object Type
    1E Coil Standard Mode-Stage 1,  !- Normal Mode Stage 1 Coil
Performance Object Name
    CoilPerformance:DX:CoolingBypassFactorEmpirical,  !- Dehumid Mode 1
Stage 1 Coil Perf Object Type
    1E Coil SubCoolReheat Mode-Stage 1;             !- Dehumid Mode 1
Stage 1 Coil Perf Object Name

I think you could actually use the same CoilPerformance object for each
stage but gave them unique names here just to be safe.

CoilPerformance:DX:CoolingBypassFactorEmpirical,

    1E Coil Standard Mode-Stage 1,  !- Coil Performance Specification Name

    autosize,                !- Rated Total Cooling Capacity (gross) {W}

    autosize,                !- Rated SHR

    3,                       !- Rated COP

    autosize,                !- Rated Air Volume Flow Rate {m3/s}

    0.0,                     !- Fraction of Air Flow Bypassed Around Coil

    1E DX Coil Cap-FT,       !- Total Cooling Capacity Modifier Curve
(function of temperature)
    1E DX Coil Cap-FF,       !- Total Cooling Capacity Modifier Curve
(function of flow fraction)
    1E DX Coil EIR-FT,       !- Energy Input Ratio Modifier Curve
(function of temperature)
    1E DX Coil EIR-FF,       !- Energy Input Ratio Modifier Curve
(function of flow fraction)
    1E DX Coil PLF,          !- Part Load Fraction Correlation (function
of part load ratio)

    ContFanCycComp,          !- Supply Air Fan Operation Mode

    1000,                    !- Nominal Time for Condensate Removal to
Begin {s}

    1.5, !- Ratio of Initial Moisture Evaporation Rate and Steady-state
Latent Capacity {dimensionless}

    3,                       !- Maximum ON/OFF Cycling Rate {cycles/hr}

    45;                      !- Latent Capacity Time Constant {s}

Performance:DX:CoolingBypassFactorEmpirical,

    1E Coil SubCoolReheat Mode-Stage 1,  !- Coil Performance

--
Richard A. Raustad
Senior Research Engineer

UCF - From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years