[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Residential heater sizing and cycling question

Mike thanks for the reply.

I'm not real familiar with the HVAC options, I normally use purchased air.
But I've look through the docs, and I'm looking for clarification.

What I'm hoping to be able to simulate is the effect of over-sizing
residential forced air heaters, and the effect of variable BTU/air volume
vs. Const. BTU/air volume, and their impact on heater efficiency (due to
heater cycling effect on combustion efficiency, burner/flue reheat, etc).
That is I'm hoping that, if I oversize, I should see more cycling, and less
efficiency. Is this feasible in E+?

As Don and Rich have explained, the HVAC system timestep does vary, and you
can
report results at the timestep level, but this is not relevant to what you
are
trying to model. Each HVAC timestep in EnergyPlus is a quasi-steady-state
simulation. For the gas heating coil cycling loss is modeled by looking at
the
quasi-steady part load ratio and making an adjustment to the efficiency
through
the "Part load fraction correlation (function of part load ratio)" curve in
COIL:Gas:Heating.

For example, if the load on the furnace from 9:00am to 9:30 am is 50% of
capacity, it doesn't matter if EnergyPlus simulates two 15-minute HVAC
timesteps, or 30 1-minute HVAC timesteps. Each timestep will evaluate the
efficiency at 50% part-load. There may be minor differences in results when
the timestep shifts down, but you should not need to be concerned with the
length of timestep. But, you do need to make sure the Part load fraction
correlation curve accurately represents the type of equipment you are
studying.

Mike